When I was designing and experimenting with the ideas, it was while in front of her, hehe. Good thing she was too occupied with her drawings. I only started making the card on her birthday itself after work and knowing there's her birthday dinner to attend to that night as well, time was very tight. Fortunately I already picked a colour scheme and bought the papers already. If any of you guys are stuck for a present, there is nothing more personalised than this... here comes the tutorial!
Total work time, 2 hours give or take...
- Take 2 A4 sheet of card and concertina fold evenly.
- Count out the spacing, you need a single spacing for the front and back, and every letter will take up two spacing. (I needed to use 1.5 sheets.)
- Line up where the letters are going to go, (in my case it was a straight line). mark the centre of each already cut out letter and line it up with the middle line of the two spacing per letter allocated.
- Glue letters down.
- Cut the outline of the letters that are on the right side of the two spacing to create a pop up of the letter.
- Make covers for the front and back. (I used a hard board, covered in the same paper used for the letters of her name, and overlay a chiffon material with silver dots over it)
- Attach any embellishments like ribbons onto the cover before sticking the ends of the concertina down.
- Decorate the inside pages. (I used a flower shaped punch outs and glued down).
- Write birthday messages in 'book' with matching pen, (I used white).
- Bring book and pen to said dinner and pass book around for everybody to sign.
- Present book to birthday recipient as a memento for her birthday.
Happy Birthday Lin! Have a great year ahead of you! More pictures of the book here